November 21-International Day of Smoking Cessation
Every year, on the third Thursday of November, a number of countries around the world celebrate the Day of Smoking Cessation. Its goal is to help reduce the prevalence of tobacco addiction, involve all segments of the population and doctors of all specialties in the fight against smoking, as well as prevent tobacco smoking and inform society about the harmful effects of tobacco on health.
According to the World Health Organization:
- worldwide, 90% of deaths from lung cancer, 75% from chronic bronchitis, and 25% from coronary heart disease are caused by smoking;
- every ten seconds, one heavy smoker dies on the planet (by 2020, this level may rise to one person in three seconds);
- smoking and the diseases caused by it annually cause the death of at least one million citizens of Russia;
- today, 50-60% of Russian men can be called heavy smokers (among some categories of citizens, this figure reaches 95%);
- In Russia, at least one in ten women smokes.
Measures aimed at restricting access to tobacco products are carried out regularly both in the country and in the Lipetsk region, and, of course, give their results. Tobacco consumption by residents of the Lipetsk region continues to decline: if the number of smokers in 2011 was 54%, then in 2019 their number decreased to 29.6%.
There is also a decrease in the number of smokers among adolescents (23% in 2011 and 14.4% in 2019). This is due to the fashion for electronic cigarettes, which act as a "bridge" for minors to smoke real cigarettes. At the same time, the vast majority of teenagers who smoke belong to students of secondary special educational organizations.
In addition, in the Lipetsk region and the city of Lipetsk, a significant number of people taking nasvai are determined (according to the operational data of the social network. according to the survey, up to 5% of respondents indicated its use) and snus sucking tobacco. Formally, they do not belong to drugs, but they themselves can be used as a substrate for the administration of the drug. Nasvai and snus give a high risk of addiction, lead to diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, cancer of the oral cavity and esophagus, caries, and an increased risk of developing type I diabetes.
The number of people who want to quit smoking increases from year to year (from 18% of respondents in 2014 to 34.7% in 2018). The number of people who know where to turn for help in quitting smoking is also growing (from 43.1% in 2014 to 55.5% in 2018).
Anyone who wants to get help in quitting smoking can ask for advice on the following phone numbers:
- Federal Smoking Cessation Hotline, tel. 8-800-200-02-00;
- Hotline for the treatment of tobacco smoking in the GUZ "Lipetsk Regional Narcological Dispensary", Lipetsk, Krupskaya str., 2. Tel. 8(4742) 43-00-98, 8(4742) 43-22-13.
Addresses of Health centers that provide assistance in quitting smoking:
- GUZ " Lipetsk city polyclinic No. 2 "(Lipetsk, St. Peter Smorodina, 13. Tel. 8 (4742) 44-75-79;
- GUZ "Lipetsk city polyclinic No. 7" (Lipetsk, Merkulova str., 34). Tel. 8 (4742) 37-14-03;
- GUZ " Yelets City Hospital No. 2 "(Yelets, Gagarina str., 5) Tel. 8(47467) 6-86-71;
- GUZ "Yelets City Children's Hospital" (Yelets, 220 Strelkovaya divizii str.). Tel. 8(47467) 2-11-10;
- GUZ "Dankovskaya MRB" (Dankov, K-Marx str., 1). Tel. 8(47465) 6-60-85, 6-60-84.
LINKS TO MOBILE APPS THAT HELP YOU QUIT SMOKING:
Applications can be downloaded from GooglePlay, AppStore.